Sunday, October 1, 2017

Computer Science and Architecture

I am currently working on my undergraduate degree in Computer Science.  And I love software development.  But I also have a strong passion for architecture. I have less than two years to go before I complete my degree, so I do not think it will be wise for me to switch majors now (this late in the game), especially if switching to a career much less stable than the tech field. 

But I also do not want to spend the rest of my life wondering if I would have enjoyed a successful career as an architect. The only solution I can come up with at this point is to complete my undergrad in computer science and then pursue a Master of Architecture degree.  But I feel like this will leave me with a lack of focus in either fields and I will just end up somewhere in the middle. 

Any suggestions? 
______________

I would certainly agree that it is not wise to switch majors now.  

Given your interest in both disciplines, your idea of pursuing a Master of Architecture after your CS degree makes sense.  Remember, if you truly wish to be a licensed architecture, you will need to obtain the professional degree in architecture.

But do you wish to be an architect or do you have the passion.  Is there a way to use your CS degree within the discipline of architecture?  Obviously, there are more and more innovation of computer science in architecture.

Who are the companies that develop software for the architecture industry?  Below are just a few.

Autodesk
Graphisoft

Also, be in touch with the following association.

ACADIA - Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture
http://acadia.org/

If you have NOT already done so, I would suggest you contact the Career Center on your campus and flush out some ideas.

Best.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: